Experience: 4 - 10 years
Office Location: Fresno, California
Associate civil engineers fill a wide variety of roles by assisting with: project planning, scoping, and proposal preparation; project engineering, including design, plan, and bid document preparation; construction administration; project management, including budget and schedule management, resource allocation; client contact and relationship maintenance; and business development. Experience/interest in road design projects.
- Assist in mentoring and training Assistant Engineers;
- Oversee project work including subordinate engineers, technicians and administrative staff;
- May chair company committees as assigned;
- Maintain accurate records of time spent on each job and phase;
- May be technical “expert” and resource or mentor to others in one or more specialty areas.
- Meet with clients to determine project scope, staffing requirements, and fee for proposals for final review by supervisor.
- Prepare feasibility studies;
- Consult with clients on engineering and related matters, including agency standards, capital facilities, master planning, and fee structures.
- Typical duties may include working independently to prepare water system models and designs, design of gravity sanitary sewers, pump stations, storm drain collection systems, embankments, concrete structures, urban street improvements, rural road and highway geometrics, and other civil improvements;
- Preparation of plans and contract documents for construction of improvements;
- Administer construction contracts, including preparation of progress payment estimates and contract change orders and construction site visits to determine contract compliance;
- Preparation of design and project reports.
- Maintain client contact during and after project completion;
- May be assigned prospective new clients to contact and cultivate;
- May serve as project manager upon approval of Operations VP and with guidance from an experienced project manager. This approval will be contingent upon completion of all in-house Project Management training sessions and demonstration of competency in critical skills, including time-and-fee estimates, billing, client management, public speaking and time management. Projects will be of smaller scope. When serving as Project Manager, duties include:
- Effectively directs projects from planning through completion;
- Assigns staff and other resources, in cooperation with other managers to balance overall company workload and best utilize personnel;
- Keeps timely track of project progress, schedule, and budget;
- Monitors project scope and requests contract amendments whenever appropriate;
- Determines client invoicing requirements and works with accounting staff to prepare timely monthly invoices;
- Prepares summary billing descriptions if appropriate or required by client;
- Maintains open channel of communication with clients and other project team members;
- Advises PPM or Senior Engineer of potential project concerns, as appropriate;
- Reviews and approves project time sheet entries accurately and in a timely manner.
While skill level will be less than a Senior Engineer, this position may still provide expertise in less complex areas.
- Establishes and maintains technical and professional expertise in one or more specialty areas at levels beyond staff engineer; becomes a technical resource to other staff as well as external clients.
- Participates with appropriate professional societies in specialty areas.
- May be recognized locally or regionally for technical expertise.
Education and/or Experience:
BS or MS Degree in Civil Engineering or related field. Appropriate work experience may substitute for formal schooling. Zero to five years experience as a registered professional engineer.